Alabama Telecommunications Access Program (ATAP)
The Alabama Telecommunications Access Program (ATAP) provides TTYs and other adaptive equipment to Alabamians with Hearing loss and speech disabilities who require special equipment to access the telephone system from their Local and\or Long Distance Telecommunication carriers.
Qualifying individuals may receive services and assistive equipment at little or no cost.
Eligibility is based on verification of one’s hearing loss and a family’s financial status. The level of the individual’s financial participation is determined by a sliding fee scale if triggered by the level of family’s financial status.
What Type of Equipment is Available?
- TTY, large visual display(LVD)TTYs and Captel
- Amplified phones and ring/flashers
- Voice carry-over and hearing carry-over telephones
- In-Home Notification systems for door, phone, etc
- TTY software and corresponding modem for a personal computer
- Other adaptive equipment needed to connect to the telephone system
For more information, contact: